Welcome to the Argenta Branch of the William F. Laman Public Library System.
In 2011, as the United States Postal Service announced the closure of 3,700 post offices nationwide due to massive deficits, Executive Director, Jeff Baskin, saw opportunity. The old Argenta Post Office in downtown North Little Rock officially closed June 15, 2012, leaving this historic building vacant and without purpose. According to the National Trust for Historic Preservation, “Local post office buildings have traditionally played an essential role in the lives of millions of Americans. Many are architecturally distinctive, prominently located, and cherished as civic icons in communities across the country.” The William F. Laman Public Library System believes in the Historic Argenta District. Its history and effort to preserve, restore, and revitalize Main Street and historic buildings and homes is important to the downtown area of North Little Rock. It brings community back to the city, boosting economic growth and creating sustainable and safe neighborhoods for its residents and visitors.
Community integration has always been Baskin’s core motive behind directing the library into its future. His vision to move the library’s Argenta Branch into the Post Office has finally come true.
With a loan from the City of North little Rock, the William F. Laman Public Library System purchased the former Post Office building for $775,000 on Sept. 30, 2012.
Renovations began March 5, 2013 at a cost of $2.8 million, with the plan to convert and renovate the old Post Office for use as the Argenta Branch Library. The renovated building features 15,300 square feet of public space, including a large children’s department, computer lab, exhibit hall/gallery, 140-seat auditorium, meeting room, vending area with seating and more than 12,000 books for children, teen and adult readers. The grand opening of the new Argenta Branch location was on April 5, 2014.The Argenta Branch Library 420 Main Street North Little Rock, AR 72114 501-687-1061